Backed by Liberty Mutual, a household name with more than 100 years of protecting Americans, Certainly is a fully digital insurance brand that provides car, renters, small business, and workers compensation insurance. Since it exclusively operates online, its plans are priced low, enabling you to save more on insurance.
Certainly insurance car and renters policies are highly customizable to fit most budgets and needs. Their standard auto insurance includes coverages required by state law, but rates can go up if you decide to select additional coverages and limits.
While Certainly can make insurance cheaper, and customizable for customers, its coverage is only available in a few states: Arizona, Illinois, Ohio, Tennessee, Wisconsin – (auto insurance), and Arizona, Illinois, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin – (renters insurance).
In addition, Certainly car insurance falls short in coverage if your car is being used for a ridesharing business e.g. Uber, or Lyft. Be that as it may, If you are more concerned about ridesharing, Toggle insurance can provide you with all kinds of coverage needed for the business.
Let’s look at what you should know about Certainly car and renters insurance, including their coverage options, costs, and reviews.
Certainly Car Insurance
Certainly car insurance is available in 5 states: Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Arizona, and Tennessee.
Keep in mind that availability may change at any time, and coverages may vary by state.
Certainly car insurance coverage
Car insurance is mandated by law in the US, and most states require drivers to carry a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage. This now makes it important to know what coverages you should opt for when shopping for car insurance.
If you need comprehensive coverage, Certainly does provide a few perks that policyholders can add to their policy to enhance their protection.
Here are the basic coverages available on Certainly:
- Coverage for your car: In the event of an accident, theft, or fire to your car, Certainly will cover the expenses until you get back to the road.
- Protection for you: This coverage will cover your medical bills in case of an accident, regardless of the driver’s insured status.
- Liability: If your car damages the property of another person, or injures a third party, you will be covered for the damages. This will also pay for any court case filed against you.
For extra protection, you can customize and include more coverage options to suit your needs. Here are the available extras provided by Certainly:
- Towing: With this add-on, it’s simple to get emergency roadside help, such as towing your car to a shop, fixing flat tires, or regaining access to your car after accidentally locking your keys inside.
- Collision: This coverage will pay for damages when you dent another car or object, even if you are at fault.
- Rental car: Rental car coverage ensures you get paid for a rental car, while your vehicle undergoes repairs.
Certainly doesn’t publicly release discounts on its website, however, a discount could still be hiddenly added to your policy.
To gain more information, start by obtaining a quote on the website. There you can fill in your personal information which will then be used to pull data about you and your driving record.
Cost of Certainly car insurance
The cost of Certainly car insurance differs from state to state. For example, if you reside in urban areas with higher traffic congestion and crime rates, you will most likely pay more than someone residing in a rural area with a lesser traffic and crime rate.
If you use the road less often, you should check our review of Hugo car insurance where you only pay for auto insurance when you use your car.
According to a study by Insurify, here is the average cost of Certainly car insurance by state where it is available.
|Average cost for full coverage
Note that actual rates could vary based on individual profiles.
Certainly renters insurance
Certainly renters insurance is available in 4 states: Arizona, Illinois, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin.
Availability may change at any time, and coverages may vary by state.
If you seeking to save more on renters insurance and avoid putting down a security deposit when you rent an apartment, but pay a low monthly fee instead, check our review of Rhino insurance.
Certainly renters insurance coverage
Certainly offers a single standard renters insurance plan. This includes protection for you and your family members who live with you. But this does not include coverage for your roommates or friends who do not stay in your home.
Also, Certainly includes protection for policyholders should they injure someone while riding a bike or scooter – a coverage some insurers don’t include in their basic policy.
Their base renters policy includes the following:
- Personal property: If your personal property such as furniture, clothing, electronics, etc. gets damaged, or stolen, regardless of where you are at the time of the loss, you will receive full reimbursement to cover the loss.
- Personal liability: If you mistakenly ruin or damage a neighbor’s property, such as setting it on fire or flooding it, this will protect you from medical payments or even legal costs if you are sued.
- Medical payments: For injuries caused to anyone in your home who needs medical attention, this coverage will pay for the medical expenses not minding the party responsible for the injury.
- Protection when riding a bike or scooter: Pays for injuries or damages you cause to others while riding your scooter or even the one you rent.
You can also add identity theft protection as an extra to maximize your protection. This coverage can help you restore your identity and reduce the financial and legal implications of identity theft if you are a victim.
Also check our review of » Sure Renters Insurance
What is not covered
The following are some exclusions to Certainly renters insurance.
- Earth movement: Examples include earthquakes, landslides, mudslides, etc.
- Water damage from tsunami, flood, release of water held by a dam, hurricane, etc.
- Negligence to save and preserve property resulting in a loss
- Nuclear hazard
- Intentional loss
- Loss from fungi, bacteria, wet or dry rot
Like its auto insurance policy, Certainly does not publicly advertise discounts.
Cost of Certainly renters insurance
You can get renters insurance quote starting at $5 per month.
Keep in mind that the actual cost will vary from state to state where coverage is available, and person to person.
How to submit a claim
- Visit their claims center page online.
- Make ready any supporting documents to back up your claim. This includes photos, videos, and other concrete evidence like police reports.
- Now tender your claim accordingly, with as much information as possible about your loss.
- A representative will get in contact with you on what to do next.
Since the company is relatively new, much is yet to be said about them. However, some customers have complained of poor response time from the support, with no phone support except for its chatbot.
But as a company having the support of Liberty Mutual, you can expect a decent service from them.
Pros and cons
- Highly customizable and affordable
- Easy and quick sign-up
- Backed by Liberty Mutual
- Only available in a few selected states
- Does not directly sell policies
- Some customers have complained of poor response from the support
- Few add-ons available on renters insurance
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Who underwrites policies for Certainly?
Liberty Mutual underwrites all policies for Certainly.
Is Certainly insurance good and legit?
Backed by Liberty Mutual a top national insurer since 1912 with an AM Best score of A, Certainly is a good and legit insurance company to trade with. Being backed by Liberty Mutual also connotes that the company has strong financial standings to pay claims and meet customer demands.
Is renters insurance required by law?
The short answer is no. Renters insurance is not typically required by law, but some landlords may include it as a requirement in the lease agreement.
Can I cancel my Certainly insurance at any time?
Yes, you can decide to end your policy anytime you wish. Simply visit your account online to deactivate your policy.
Does certainly insurance have an app?
At the time of writing, Certainly does not have an operational app. Maybe the company might consider one in the future.