It would be near to, if not completely impossible to find or get insurance companies that offer no down payment on insurance for commercial trucks when enrolling as a new member.
This is because most insurance companies would not want to cover you against potential risks arising from claims without getting an installment for your policy. Depending on the insurer, an upfront payment of at least 10-30% is required and must be paid before your insurance begins.
Notwithstanding, if you’re seeking a low down payment plan for your vehicle, there are a handful of companies that can provide you with low and flexible down payment options for your truck.
Take a look at some of the best companies that accept low down payments for commercial truck insurance. We will keep everything simple and straight to the point. Let’s proceed.
Average cost of commercial truck insurance
The cost of commercial truck insurance will depend on a number of factors, including the level of your risk as a driver, your location, operating radius, type of cargo, type of truck, the amount of excess chosen, and as well as the type of insurance company you are dealing with.
Based on data sourced from Progressive, the national average monthly cost of commercial insurance was around $736 for specialty truckers and up to $1,125 for transport truckers in 2022.
Don’t forget that these rates could inflate depending on the factors mentioned above.
Insurance companies that accept low down payments for Commercial Truck
Founded in 1937, Progressive is by far the largest commercial truck insurer in the United States according to the Insurance Information Institute.
Progressive Insurance offers commercial auto coverage for a wide variety of vehicles, including flatbeds, tractor-trailers, box trucks, cargo vans, bucket trucks, cement mixers, and even tow trucks in all 50 states.
In addition, the company provides flexible coverage and payment options which include low down payment plans and zero interest installments.
With zero interest on monthly installments, you can save more and avoid being charged when you are making payments for your monthly premiums.
The type of truck you are insuring will determine the amount of down payment you may need to make. The average down payment for most trucks is around 15-20%.
[Looking for flexible car insurance coverage for side hustle ridesharing? Check out our review on Toggle Car Insurance]
Alongside the low down payment options from Progressive comes a decent amount of ways to save stipends on your commercial truck insurance.
Here are the discounts available on Progressive for commercial trucks.
- Smart Haul Program: According to Progressive, if you are a trucker using an electronic logging device (ELD), you can save up to $984 on your commercial truck policy when you grant them access to your driving data. Allowing access to your ELD means Progressive will get information about your driving history, which will be used to determine how you are charged on premiums. This is disadvantageous if you have a poor driving past.
- Snapshot ProView: Truckers without ELD can also save up to 5% of their commercial auto policy when they enroll for the complimentary fleet management tools.
- Business Experience Discount: Interestingly, truckers who have a continuous policy with Progressive for more than three years will be automatically entitled to a discount.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Discount: With a CDL, for-hire truckers can also save money on their insurance.
Aside from the above-listed ways truckers can save with Progressive, here are some other available discounts:
- Payment using Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
- Insuring your personal vehicles with Progressive
- Package discount for truckers with general liability or business owners policy
- Prior insurance savings for having continuous insurance with Progressive for the last 12 months
Progressive commercial truck coverage
- General liability (bodily injury and personal property)
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist
- Medical payments
- Personal injury protection (PIP)
Truck-specific coverage options offered by Progressive
- Motor truck cargo
- Motor truck general
- Liability non-trucking
- Liability heavy truck
- Roadside assistance
- Rental reimbursement with downtime
- Trailer interchange
You can enroll for a quote online on the website or talk to a licensed truck insurance expert at 1-888-806-9598.
While Progressive commercial auto insurance is available in all 50 states, some coverage options may not be available depending on your state. For example, truckers in New York are not covered against primary liability when they exceed a certain travel radius.
RJS Truck Insurance Services
With over 25+ years of protecting commercial truckers, RJS is an option to consider if you need one of the best down-payment options for your vehicle.
Based in Laguna Niguel, California, RJS Truck Insurance Services offers superior insurance coverage along with different flexible payment methods to help you manage costs effectively.
The catch here is that RJS offers no- down payment when you renew your commercial auto policy with them. Meaning that, after your first policy period elapses, you won’t be required to make a down payment for that particular renewal period.
Also, when purchasing your initial premium, you can also benefit from their low down payment option.
Here’s a breakdown of their payment options:
- 12 payments (EFT) / ACH available
- No finance charges
- Low down payments/deposits
- No down payment at renewal
The company also boasts of partnerships with major national insurers like Progressive, American Family Group, Wilshere Insurance, and Great West Casualty Company.
RJS does not publicly advertise discounts on its truck insurance, so you may need to leverage its flexible payment options to manage cash in your policy.
RJS commercial truck insurance coverage options
- Coverage for liability, physical damage, cargo & general liability
- Single deductibles – one deductible applies to cargo & physical damage
- No deductible on liability
- Mechanical breakdown coverage – with towing
- Reefer breakdown coverage automatically included
- Reporting policies – based on units, mileage, gross receipts
A quote can be obtained online or by calling a representative at 1.800.366.0664. Alternatively, you can enroll for a policy by sending a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
RJS Truck Insurance Services is not BBB accredited – with not too much information known about the company. However, they have partnerships with top insurers in the country.
It is also important to note that RJS commercial truck insurance service is only available in a few states, which are Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah Washington, and Wyoming.
[Need pay-as-you-go car insurance service? See our review of Hugo Car Insurance]
Great West Casualty Company
With over 65 years of experience in commercial truck insurance, the Great West Casualty Company provides comprehensive coverage for many types of trucks.
Coverage options include physical damage from collision and non-collision-related equipment losses, including fire, natural disasters, robbery, theft, and vandalism. This also includes coverage for some accidents-related expenses like:
- Truck and equipment repair or replacement
- Towing expenses
- Tarps, chains, and binders damaged on an owned trailer
- Payments for certain fluids
- Downtime coverage
- Single Deductible endorsement
Other coverage plans available:
- Commercial auto liability
- Cargo coverage
- Commercial general liability
- Trucking specialty coverage
- Workers compensation
Great West Casualty Company features many payment options for your trucking business. These options also come with flexible installments.
Depending on your policy, you can get a monthly payment of premium on your commercial truck insurance and up to 11 installments for 12 months.
Truckers can get 8-11 installments when they choose a 20% down payment, 6-10 installments for a 25% down payment, and 3-10 installments when they select a 30% down payment.
Information regarding the discounts they offer is limited online. You can talk to an agent to know if you will be eligible for one.
For more details on the Great West Casualty Company down payment commercial truck insurance policy, refer to this guide.
You can get started by obtaining a quote online from the website. You can also talk with an agent at 800.228.8602, or send a mail to email@example.com.
The Great West Casualty Company truck insurance along with its low payment options is available in all 50 states including Washington DC.
Triumph is another commercial truck insurer you can turn to if you need a low down payment plan for your vehicle – ensuring you get the right protection no matter where the road takes you to.
Whether you’re a newbie in trucking insurance or don’t have an idea of the right step to take, an expert is available to walk you through the necessary procedures and onboarding process.
Triumph offers a range of protection for your truck which includes:
- Primary liability insurance
- General liability
- Workers compensation insurance
- Physical damage insurance
- Motor truck cargo insurance
- Non-trucking liability (Bobtail coverage)
- Occupational accident insurance
Triumph was established in 2004 and has witnessed substantial growth over the years, becoming a reliable solution for truckers seeking comprehensive cover for their business vehicle. According to their website, they are very fast in responding to issues pertaining to claims.
Triumph does not openly state its discounts online. You can speak with their support to learn more.
Visit Triumph today to get a quote, or call 866-356-0888 to speak with a representative.
Triumph is not BBB-rated and accredited! Though Texas-based, the company offers trucking policies for all states in the US.
Confused about getting the right policy? Compare car policies here.
When it comes to selecting the most suitable commercial truck insurance with low down payment, discounts, and coverage options, Progressive appears to be the best fit for the title. As the number one commercial insurer in America, you can expect to get the best cover for your truck against any risk
On the other hand, RJS Truck Insurance Services is a close contender with its zero down payment option when renewing your policy along with low and flexible down payments. Overall, our list gives you a clear understanding of the insurer that would be best for you according to your budget and coverage needs.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the average down payment for commercial truck insurance?
The average down payment for commercial truck insurance is between 10 to 30%.
Is low down payment truck insurance available for all types of trucks?
Insurance providers may offer low down payment options for various types of trucks, including commercial trucks, delivery vehicles, and specialty trucks. The availability can vary by insurer.
Are there disadvantages to choosing low down payment truck insurance?
While low down payment options can save costs, they may sometimes result in higher monthly premiums.
In addition to this, the total cost of insurance over the policy term could be higher compared to policies with larger initial payments.
Do I need good credit to qualify for low down payment truck insurance?
The short answer is no. However, insurance policies vary from company to company. Some may require you to have good credit to be eligible for down payment truck insurance.
Who needs commercial truck insurance?
- Specialty Truck Operators: Those using specialized trucks for services such as towing, refrigerated transport, or hazardous material transportation.
- Trucking Companies: Businesses engaged in transporting goods using commercial trucks.
- Freight Haulers: Companies or individuals involved in the transportation of freight, whether local or long-distance.
- Delivery Services: Businesses providing local or regional delivery of goods using commercial trucks.